History of the
Osteopathic Founders Foundation
The Osteopathic Founders Foundation (OFF) was established January 12, 1943 as the Osteopathic Hospital Founders Association when 10 visionary osteopathic physicians came together to buy a hospital building at Ninth and Jackson in downtown Tulsa. After successfully completing the purchase in September 1943, a major campaign was begun to renovate and equip the building.
On December 17, 1944, the Founders Association proudly opened the new Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital and successfully operated the facility until our sale of the then Tulsa Regional Medical Center in 1996. Subsequently, the name of the Founders Association was changed to the Osteopathic Founders Foundation to more accurately reflect our new mission while continuing to honor the heritage of our Founders.
“This Old House”
A History of the
Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital
Before becoming Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital in 1943, it was initially known as the Oklahoma Hospital when built in 1916. Subsequently, the building was the property of the Delaware Baptist Convention; later converted to a sanitarium; was known as the Tulsa Hospital, and finally operated as the Westside Hospital. By early 1943, the building was foreclosed upon and went on the auction block.
During WWII D.O.’s had been denied military commissions. This circumstance placed a fortunate burden on the osteopathic profession nationally, as virtually all D.O.’s realized a sudden practice growth. Tulsa D.O.’s had outgrown the tiny hospital at the corner of 14th & Peoria. As a result, the Osteopathic Hospital Founders Association (OHFA) was formed as a nonprofit corporation charged to obtain and operate a hospital to meet the growing needs of Tulsa D.O.’s and their patients.
Dr. Robert D. McCullough, acting on behalf of the OHFA, carried the group’s bid of $35,000 to the courthouse steps on the morning of November 1, 1943. This was the only bid and OHFA was awarded a clear title to the brick structure, half block of land and two nearby frame houses.
Funding was raised for the necessary remodeling and equipment purchases, which led to the opening of the Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital on December 17, 1944.
Click HERE to read the original text in full as written by Gail Smith, Public Relation Director of Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital in July 1981.
Happy 64th Birthday
OSU Medical Center
1944 to 2008
In 2008 the former Oklahoma Osteopathic Hospital turned 64 as the name had been changed to OSU Medical Center. Pictures from the celebration party may be viewed HERE.